Making the transition from driver’s seat to passenger seat isn’t easy, but help is available for you and your loved ones. Take advantage of these additional resources to help you adjust to your new way of life.
Resources for healthcare professionals
Healthcare professionals seeking the best way to help older drivers with this difficult transition can gain insights from these resources.
- Driving Decisions: Distinguishing Evaluations, Providers and Outcomes (Dickerson, Davis and Carr)
- Evaluating Driving as a Valued Instrumental Activity of Daily Living (Dickerson, Reistetter, Davis and Monahan)
- Driving Assessment Tools Used by Driver Rehabilitation Specialists: Survey of Use and Implications for Practice (Dickerson)
- Assessment Tools Predicting Fitness to Drive in Older Adults: A Systematic Review (Dickerson, Meuel, Ridenour and Cooper)
- Decision Tool for Clients with Medical Issues: A Framework for Identifying Driving Risk and Potential to Return to Driving (Dickerson and Bédard)
- Transportation and Aging: An Updated Research Agenda for Advancing Safe Mobility (Dickerson, Molnar, Bédard, Eby, Classen and Polgar)
- Transportation and Aging: An Updated Research Agenda to Advance Safe Mobility Among Older Adults Transitioning from Driving to Non-Driving (Forum) (Dickerson, Molnar, Bédard, Eby, Berg-Weger, Choi, Grigg, Horowitz, Meuser, Myers, O’Connor and Silverstein)
Schold Davis, E. & Dickerson, A.E. (July 24, 2017). OT-DRIVE: Integrating the IADL of driving and community mobility into routine practice. OT Practice, 22, 8-14.